Monday, December 26, 2011

1000 paper cranes


(Aren't they cute?)


My wedding gift for Claire and Gary is finally done and delivered, and I thought I'd share. 

The japanese tradition says that folding 1000 paper cranes for a couple on their wedding day is wishing them 1000 years of happiness and prosperity.  My obsessive paper-folding tedium-loving self thought this sounded like a great plan, and a few months of continuous paper folding later, I achieved a very large pile of pretty white birds.


1000 paper cranes



I had them all folded in time for the wedding, but I was a little too last minute in figuring out how to display them, so that part didn't happen until later. It's a good thing I have a wonderful woodworking father who was more than happy to assist!





Museum glass, curved edges, tricky spacers, pretty wood.  It's the perfect addition! The inside dimension  is 10"x10"x1.5", and 1000 cranes fit inside. They're pretty tiny!







The cranes are now hanging in the VanBehm apartment, and I hope they serve as a daily physical reminder of all the prayers and well wishes offered on the part of their family and friends who have been (and will continue) supporting and cheering them on!  



4 comments:

  1. That is one of the best things I have ever seen, emilyvanhoff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily this is so cool! It makes me so happy that you still make teeny tiny cranes and snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea...it would have been very cool as well to do some cranes in red and lay them in the shape of a heart on top of the white. Another idea would be to do the bride & grooms initials in either black paper or gold paper on top of the white. Love the idea though!!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete