Wednesday, July 20, 2011

For the love of letters.

My Aunt and Uncle recently visited my 95 year old Nana in Jersey, and they talked about my senior show, which centered around this handmade alphabet:

Postcards from my Senior Show

My Nana explained to tham that she has always loved practiceing the Palmer Method of handwriting.  She would write the letters on the page horizontally than the rotate the paper vertically and write over the the letters again. She said she could sit at the table doing this for hours.  Looks like my crazy love of letters actually comes from somewhere!

This is a recent sample of her handwriting that she sent home with my Aunt and Uncle to show me. It's beautiful! And it creates a wonderful abstracted pattern. Letters as objects rather than instruments of communication? Love it!

Penmanship of Anne VanHoff


I wikipedia-d the Palmer Method, it's pretty awesome, I think I found my new pastime.  It looks a little more human than the time I tried to teach myself to write in helvetica... yes, I did that once.


We don't really need to talk about it... 

1 comment:

  1. I had never heard of the Palmer method... I'm going to have to try this with a number of things. haha

    and I love that you said "the time I tried to teach myself to write in helvetica"

    Only you, Emily.

    ReplyDelete